Friday, August 03, 2007

NZ Day 1

Landed in Christchurch that has possibly one of the oldest looking airports I have seen in a while. Come to think of it - it looks remarkably similar to the airport in Kenya. Picked up our rental (Ford Mondeo 2.0L Automatic) a terribly underpowered car and drove from Christchurch straight to Greymouth via Arthur's Pass. Follow the red line in the map right below!! You will notice that we essentially crossed South Island through a series of mountain passes.

We (Andrew & myself) landed at approximately 3pm local time. Needless to say - being mid winter, we essentially drove in the dark. The terrain rapidly changed from dry fields and lakes (not unlike country Victoria) to alpine mountains and icy roads as we drove through the mountains. A few shots:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Wild flower with Alpine Mountain background.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Semi-Frozen Lake

About the last photograph... it was literally pitch black as we drove through a region of lakes. The photographer in me was determined to take at least a few photographs from this part of the journey. I dragged Andrew into -1 degree temperature to help me take this shot. It was so dark that I had to get Andrew to shine the torch around to help me compose the picture. In addition, I only noticed that part of the lake was frozen on the camera LCD as I literally could not see the ice in the darkness.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Map modified from tourism.net.nz

We arrived at Greymouth - and lost count of the number of times our underpowered Ford was overtaken by fully laden lorries - late evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home